Lani is a guest contributor to the Whoop It Up Blog. She writes bi-monthly posts about how to live your best life.
“Spread Joy with the #HappyActsChallenge!
March 20th is officially the International Day of Happiness. It was established three years ago by the United Nations, so you know it’s legit! The UN website states that, “the pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal.” We all could use a little extra happiness in our lives. That’s why I’m inviting you to join me in taking Live Happy Magazine’s #HappyActs Challenge to spread the joy.
Here’s how it works.
First, start by making yourself happy. Joy leads to more joy.
Here are 5 ways to Whoop It Up and live a happier life:
1) Be Grateful: When our lives get busy or we hit a rough patch, it’s easy to get discouraged. Take time to remember how lucky you truly are by writing down the things that make you happy. Listing what you’re grateful for will help you embrace the positive things in your life instead of dwelling on the negative.
2) Forgive and Forget: Holding on to anger is the quickest way to steal your own joy. Make it a habit to truly forgive people and move on. Bitterness and resentment don’t help you heal, so just “let it go!” (Now that darn song is stuck in your head, right?)
3) Remember that money can’t buy you happiness: Money is one of the biggest sources of stress in our lives. Don’t let it get to you! Research shows that once your income is above the poverty line, more money doesn’t result in any significant amount of extra happiness. So why do we always fret about it? Focus on keeping your family healthy and fed, and don’t let the occasional financial bump in the road worry you.
4) Do what makes you happy: Find the time to engage in meaningful and enjoyable activities. Plan a Girl’s Night Out, go on a romantic date with your partner, play a game with your kids, learn a new skill, volunteer your time to help others. Whatever you choose, just make sure it brings you joy and gives your life purpose.
5) Get by with a little help from your friends: “Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.” – Swedish Proverb. True friends keep us strong and make us whole. Spend quality time with your friends and help each other find happiness.
Now that you’ve found your own joy, it’s time to spread it to others! Here are a few #HappyActs to get you started.”
Read the rest here.